Series: Where There's Smoke
Where There's Smoke: Depression
February 28, 2021 | Drew Humphrey
Passage: Psalms 77:1-9
SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION (Psalm 77:1-5)
- Verse 1 – Deep anguish
- Verse 2 – No comfort or relief
- Verse 3 – The very thought of God is hurtful instead of helpful
- Verse 4 – Insomnia
- Verse 4 – Isolation from others
- Verse 5 – Consumed by the “good old days”
What Won’t Work? — ESCAPISM.
ESCAPISM WILL MAKE YOU BUSIER BUT IT WON’T MAKE YOU BETTER.
- Lift your eyes off of your life, and onto God’s Kingdom
- Proverbs 23:7 “For as he thinks within his heart, so he is."
- Great heaviness must be countered by a great reliance on others
- “Things don’t simply happen to us. When they do, we respond with immediate interpretation of their meaning and significance. We filter the events through our view of God, others, and ourselves that we have been developing for our entire lives.
- Remember who God is, and what He has done
- His praise is a prescription for the darkness that is weighing him down.
Where there's smoke, there is fire. In this sermon series, we will discover what the Bible has to say about depression, anxiety, and anger.